Reading standards for 2nd grade:
1. Ask and answer questions as to who, what, when, where, why, and how to understand.
2. Recount stories and determine central message.
3. Describe how characters respond to major events.
4. Describe how words and phrases supply rhythm and meaning.
5. Describe the structure of a story.
6. Understand different points of view.
7. Demonstrate understanding of characters, setting, and plot.
8. Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story and/or two texts on the same topic.
9. Describe the connection between a series of events.
10. Know and use text features (captions, bold prints, subheadings, glossaries, photos, index, etc).
11. Identify the authors purpose.
12. Explain how images help you understand the text.
13. Apply grade level phonics and word analysis in decoding words.
14. Read with accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
Writing Standards for 2nd grade:
1. Write informative texts, narratives, and opinion pieces.
2. Write clearly and coherently. Following the writing process by planning, revising, editing, and publishing.
3. Use technology.
Speaking and Listening Standards for 2nd grade:
1. Participate in conversations and work with others.
2. Give oral presentations.
3. Understand the speakers point of view.
4. Use digital media resources.
Language Standards for 2nd grade:
1. Use grammar, capitalization, punctuation and spelling in writing.
2. Determine meaning of unknown words.
Math Standards for 2nd grade:
1. Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
2. Add and subtract within 20.
3. Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication.
4. Understand place value
5. Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
6. Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
7. Relate addition and subtraction to length.
8. Work with time and money.
9. Represent and interpret data.
10. Reason with shapes and their attributes.
- Science Standards for 2nd grade:
- 1. Understand the relationship between sound and vibrating objects.
- 2. Understand properties of solids and liquids and the changes they undergo.
- 3. Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
- 4. Understand animal life cycles.
- 5. Remember that organisms differ from or are similar to their parents based on the characteristics of the organism.
Social Studies Standards for 2nd grade:
- 1. Understand how various sources provide information about the past.
- 2. Use geographic representations, terms and technology to process information from a spatial perspective.
- 3. Understand the effects of humans interacting with their environment.
- 4. Understand basic economic concepts.
- 5. Understand the purpose of governments.
- 6. Understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens.
- 7. Understand how various cultures influence communities.